Sunday, August 6, 2017

Review: Heir of Fire by Sarah J. Maas

Book: Heir of Fire
Author: Sarah J. Maas
Series: Throne of Glass #3
Genre: YA fantasy
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Pages: 565
Release: September 2nd, 2014



Celaena has survived deadly contests and shattering heartbreak―but at an unspeakable cost. Now, she must travel to a new land to confront her darkest truth . . . a truth about her heritage that could change her life―and her future―forever. Meanwhile, brutal and monstrous forces are gathering on the horizon, intent on enslaving her world. Will Celaena find the strength to not only fight her inner demons, but to take on the evil that is about to be unleashed?

The bestselling series that has captured readers all over the world reaches new heights in this sequel to the New York Timesbest-selling Crown of Midnight. Packed with heart-pounding action, fierce new characters, and swoon-worthy romance, this third book will enthrall readers from start to finish.



The book essentially can be separated by 2 parts: the first 30%, which I found rather slow and tiresome, and the rest, which was 100% where everything was at.

In the first part, I was not very interested nor impressed by Rowan. He just...had nothing for me to grab on, you know? It wasn't until around the middle that I finally began to get on board. Aedion, on the other hand...now he was an interesting character right from the beginning to end! I loved him. His absolute devotion to Aelin was fantastic, especially since he walked a very dangerous line with the king.

Celaena herself was the main reason I wasn't very fond of the beginning of the book. She began the book just drinking and fighting her days away. And even when Rowan came and pulled her out of that lifestyle, she still didn't gain the hard grit and determination I knew she was. Instead, I found her frustratingly full of self-pity, which made it hard for me to really get invested in. It took to mid-book for me to finally be able to latch onto her as a character. 

Magic is much more prominent in this book! Celaena herself was constantly using magic, as was Rowan. It was written especially well, with its descriptions so natural and flowing. I'm so glad we got to see magic finally in action. I've been waiting for it since the first book!

We have three plot lines interweaving throughout the entire book. I wasn't really interested in Manon's story line, as it didn't seem like it was related to the plot in any way, but once I got to end, I definitely could see how everything is related in the bigger scheme. I particularly enjoyed the endings for all threes lines--HOLY SNAP did it blow me away! Celaena was the badass I knew she was but like a million times better with magic. I'm not joking, she was brilliant and fierce and everything I wanted her to be. Plus the king has revealed more of his hand, which has me both scared and excited for everyone else! I am very much looking forward to seeing all these pieces begin to align together!







6 comments:

  1. Great review! I'm glad you enjoyed the book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice review! I personally loved Rowan, even more so in the next book! Aedion is also super interesting but slightly obsessive in my opinion ^-^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely looking forward to Rowan in the next book! I don't know why I latched onto Aedion so quickly, but I'll have to see what becomes of my feelings towards him haha

      Delete
  3. YESSSS YOU'VE READ IT!! HURRRAAAAH.
    Aedion, ahhhh the white wolf! I absolutely LOVE his character, he only gets more interesting as the series goes on, you will love him!
    Also can you believe that ending? It was crazy, also what happened to baby Dorian? The precious snowflake. I still adore him hahah <3

    Amazing review! Can't wait to see what you think of the rest of the series!!
    Cody @ Literary-ly Obsessed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES I'm so looking forward to more Aedion! And Rowan, since I have a feeling he's going to worm his way straight into my heart by the end of the next book. And Dorian!!! Noooo, his father is evil and cruel! May Aelin smite him down soon!

      Delete